Kick start your HSC composition
A 4 day intensive workshop for students of composition
This workshop is for participants who are interested in developing skills for conceptualisation and realisation of contemporary music composition and is particularly suitable for students who will be in years 11 and 12 in 2019. These 4 days will be an intensive development of creative methods and skills for composition. The creative process of making music and performance is a different process for everyone and young composers will benefit from an exploration of a variety of approaches so that they may begin to reflect on and develop their creative voices. This course is suitable for both Music 1and Music 2 students.
The 4 day school holiday workshop will feature:
• Practicing composers from different areas of music to share their practice with the group and talk about their development as composers:
• Facilitated peer discussions onapproaches to composition
• Solo and group composition projects realised during the week
• Embodiment (conducting, movement, listening, vocalisation), improvisation and scored improvisation as creative process for algorithmic and sequential composition in electronic and acoustic composition contexts
• Discussion on various related theories and concepts (physics of sound in relation to composition, perception of sound, pitch, rhythm, timbre, interactivity etc.)
• The 4 day intensive will culminate in an open, informal sharing (for parents and friends) at the end of the week held at BrandXSt Leonards
The workshop will be comprised of a small group of 10 - 12 students to allow for individual attention and support.
Notable Australian composer, and St Leonards Music Academy composer-in-residence Andrew Batt-Rawden has created a bespoke syllabus (Vordenker) for approaching composition and will facilitate the workshop. Read about his impressive bio on our faculty page – www.stleonardsmusicacademy.com/faculty . You will also find information about our guest composers: Ben Hinchley, Annie McKinnon and Mark Oliveiro.
When 1st – 3rd October 9:30 – 4:30pm
4th October 9:30 – 5:30pm
Where St Leonards Music Academy, 14 Marshall Avenue St Leonards NSW 2065
(located 5 mins walk from St Leonards Train Station)
Cost $400 per student
Payment due by Monday 17th September to secure enrolment.
1 full scholarship place will be awarded to a student from a family faced with financial hardship.
Please contact us if you wish to apply.